Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Not So Special K


I remember my dear grandaunt Evelyn Shaw insisting she had to bring me to Killiney Road in Singapore for food. I don’t remember what we ate there, but I find, with my dear Auntie Eve, most of our moments together are more about the company and sharing, as opposed to the food.

It would seem Killiney Kopitiam in SS2 Mall is bound to share the same fate. The food is passable but overall not really memorable. The Killiney All Time Classic Set offered toast with kaya, eggs and a choice of coffee or tea.

The toast used whole meal bread which really is a strike against the tradition of traditional Hailam white thick loaf. The outlet purportedly uses only kampong chicken eggs but when I ordered the manager told me they had run out. The supply came later and he offered to replace the eggs but I wasn’t too fussed. As they were, they were done well, and I especially liked the fact that they were not too hot to crack without burning one’s fingers.
Singapore Laksa.

Kit had the Mee Jawa which he deemed passably. However, the gravy was not quite thick enough. The Singapore Laksa had the prerequisite fish cakes, deep fried taupok and a hardboiled egg. This version used laksa noodles as opposed to the traditional rice floor noodle. For RM7.50 I guess it was decent enough and certainly filling.

However there just seemed to be a little too much generic feeling about the food. The drilling works which were carried out did not help either, ditto the fact they did not accept credit cards. Still, I guess there are worse places to dine.
Killiney Kopitiam
SS2 Mall
Lot G49-50
40 Jalan SS2/72
46000 Petaling Jaya

No comments:

Post a Comment