Monday, April 11, 2011

Goodbye Vietnam


The bright interior was not enough to make food more flavoursome.

Sampler platter.

Papaya salad.

Red Noodle before it is mixed.

Red Noodle apres toss.

I don't think I'll be returning.
5 April 2011 – I think I have lost my taste for Vietnamese food. I choose to dine at Sao Nam at Empire Shopping Gallery since I did not want to be stuck in an Ole Ole Bali rut. I like the décor, although the ventilation was poor and the owners have had to place fans around the restaurant to cool the place down. 

The ID was nice, but I should not have chosen to sit in front of the kitchen. I forget that just as I am observing the chefs, they are looking at me too and I do so hate not being able to give them a smile and a heartfelt thumbs up. 

There’s nothing really wrong with the food here, but it lacks something that makes it memorable. The saucing needs work, as does the seasoning factor. The presentation is lovely – minimalist chic, but there is more to good eating than pretty little roses carved from carrot, potato and kumera. 

The papaya salad with grilled beef (RM20) was good, but the sampler platter (RM38) was hit and miss, with some of the items being surprisingly tasteless. It was too high a price to pay for substandard flavour. 

I did not care for the Red Noodle (RM18), and burning my mouth on the accompanying soup made me less pleased overall. 

I am thinking that other than a quick bowl of pho, I am just going to give the dishes in Vietnamese restaurants quite a berth from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment