Monday, April 11, 2011

Good For Nothing Loafer


5 April 2011 - I should have just quit after Sao Nam, but I ventured to The Loaf for dessert. I’ve always been wary about being the first few to crowd into a new place, so I have avoided it, despite being invited to cover their outlets. I’m bloody glad I never went, or I'd still be deluded into thinking The Loaf really was the creme de la creme of bake shops and cafes.

Today showed that it does not matter who has a stake in it. If he does not sit there and work on the operations and cost control, it may have well just been another underpaid foreign worker calling the shots. 

Uhuhu - really a reason to cry over wasted cream cheese.

Looks are deceiving.

The aptly named Rock.

Tropical Stick and Chocolate Croissant.

Cranberry Cheese.
The selection I bought was crap. It was abysmal. There was no saving grace and it was a real farce of all the money and PR shtick that went into The Loaf.
The Olive stick (RM2.80) could have been called chewy only by a wide imagination. It was so tough and hard, it gave me a jaw-ache. Even Sergio, who eats bugs, refused the piece I offered him!
The Rock (RM3.60) lived up to its name, being also hard and chewy, although the taste was good. It made me feel as if the bakery had baked in advance and just left their inventory on the shelf instead of clearing out at the end of the day. 

I also bought the Tropical Stick (RM3.50), Cranberry Cheese (RM3.60) and chocolate croissant (4.90). The biggest mistake was the pretty looking, but stupidly named Uhuhu which were cupcake like things with different toppings. I bought six at RM18.20 and they turned out to be tacky, semi-dried cheese mousse-like things with chocolate ganache, raspberry gelee, Oreos and what not. My mum-in-law’s maid had half and refused any more. 

It was probably the worst RM36.60 I have ever spent in a bakery. Next time if I want to support a Malaysian brand, I’ll go for those with lower PR pull, but higher quality control. I’ve paid the price for infidelity to dear old Baker’s Cottage!

No comments:

Post a Comment