Thursday, April 7, 2011

Cut & Dried


Some food items just cannot be reproduced. Principally among them is durian. I have seen frozen whole durians in the Asian supermarkets in Australia and New Zealand, alongside frozen rambutan, and I cannot help but be appalled at the lengths some people will go to for a taste of home.
Notice the spelling error?

I was given these durian longue-chats (these piped biscuits which are known as ‘cat’s tongues’ are the only comparison I could fairly come out with) by Jade. I have tried some vacuum dried and freeze dried durian before and I actually was amazed at how well the taste was replicated, if not the exact texture. As such, because of the description of ‘durian chips’ on the packet, I was quite excited to try them, expecting a freeze dried treat.
The few whole pieces I managed to salvage.


The ingredients list is woefully uninformative.
Alas, what I got was a lackluster biscuit, which was so fragile that most of the contents were already smashed up into bits. I saved just a few, but they were not notable in any way. Alas and alack!

No comments:

Post a Comment