Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Good, The Bad, And The Rotten


1 March 2011 - I laugh when I read the old fashioned English writers like Frances H. Burnett who talk about simple meals of bread and cheese for poor folk. In Malaysia, bread and cheese is for the rich. Of course, if you afford better than Kraft slices, you’d also not be eating it with Gardenia bread, right? 
Surprisingly good bread from Giant!

Antipasti on ration!

The amazing antipasti.

Tonight Kit and I decided to not cook. We bought a loaf of herbed bread from Giant, and some slices of Gouda to complement the stash of Pronto antipasti which Evelyn Lee so graciously packed for us to take home. We’ve been eating that through the day, because it is so absolutely delicious. 

Meal of peasants? I think not!

We also had a pack of Live-Well salmon with dill we wanted to open and finish. It turns out, we’d been finished if we’d eaten that salmon. Though unopened, and with an expiry dead two weeks ago, the salmon was clearly off. It was so maddening to have paid RM15 for that pack, and have the money just washed down the drain. 

The Live Well salmon and sliced Gouda. 
Live Well? I don't think so! I'm never buying this brand again!

The smell was so noxious, we had to remove it from the table before we could continue. I am so grateful that we actually began just with toasted bread and antipasti. If I had that salmon as I’d sat down, I would have lost my appetite in grief at the waste of food and anger that I’d been conned. 

After more bread, Gouda and antipasti, I walked down the dark street looking for the one cat I really liked in the neighbourhood – a yellow and white tom who I’ve christened Ezekiel. Alas, he was nowhere in sight and the bloated, caterwauling marmalade blighter from next door was the recipient of the salmon. It was a ka-ching! moment for him. 

Oh well, at least someone benefitted from that! Me, I am just mourning the last of that delicious antipasti.

No comments:

Post a Comment