Thursday, April 7, 2011

Empty Nest

Onion chicken.

I said the soup was nothing to look at!
It’s a real shame that no one and I mean NO ONE eats at Eagle’s Nest at KGNS anymore. When we walked in with my parents and Erin, it was 7pm and the whole place was deserted. The restaurant manager was waiter, server, cashier and tea pourer. Quite a shame, as the food is still quite good.

Mixed veggies.
The Szechuan soup is one of my favourite dishes, being thick, steaming hot and spicy with dried red chilli. It’s nothing to look at, but on a cool night, it’s a lovely heartening start to a meal.

The combination of green beans, brinjal and petai go down well too and though it is basic, it is another good dish to enjoy with hot steamed rice.
It just looks like a pizza. It's egg foo yuck. I mean, foo yong.

I’ve never understood why Egg Foo Yong was so popular on Western Chinese takeaways. It seems every time anyone in a movie orders Chinese, this dish makes an appearance. I decided to order it to see if there was any redeeming gastronomic value in it, but really, I can’t say I like chicken meat and assorted vegetables and onions in an omelette!
Clay pot egg noodles.

The egg noodles in clay pot was a much better choice, with crisp veggies and really rich broth coating the slowly softening crunchy noodles. They went great with the onion chicken.

The meal was quite enjoyable on the whole but it was a little creepy eating in that deserted, large, cold space. Some places we go to and line up for a long time just for a table by a drain, because the food is so good, but others, despite decent food and ambiance lose out when the ambiance has the air of a deserted mansion.

No comments:

Post a Comment