Friday, January 20, 2012

Ecsta-Tea

You know the hyperbole that goes into menu writing, right? Menus where 'luscious', 'melt-in-the-mouth' and 'chef's creation' get bandied about. I thought I was reading one of these when I had a drink at Pavilions Lounge waiting for an appointment with a Starwood bigwig.

To give credit where credit is due, the drinks menu was a big one, ranging from the soft to the on-the-rocks. There was a section dedicated to TWG Tea and I had to choose between a tea or an apple fizz thingie. Being a writer, the tea won, because it was described, verbatim: delicate red tea from South Africa with secret blend of sweet TWG tea and French spices. A dessert in itself, served warm/iced, at any time of the day.

If for nothing else, I ordered it for the sheer chance of tearing down a tea called Creme Caramel. When I first tasted the RM16 ice tea, I thought, yup, lot of creative license. But when I added the sugar syrup, the tea came alive. It was remarkable. It tasted like how Susan Boyle looked and may have felt after winning a Grammy and having someone hunky, virile and insatiable to celebrate it with.
The best tea in town is on the left.

It was crazy good. Usually sugar hides a lot of flaws, but this time, it really brought out the flavour of the tea. You could really taste the cinnamon, cloves, and other aromatic spices (though French or not, I can't say). There was a robustness that really felt physically filling. The liquid told the brain the mouth had actually eaten. And what it had consumed was a brilliant creme caramel. It is close to the most amazing tea I have ever had, and worth every sen. Blast that I was like a quarter way through when my interviewee arrived. It was possibly the most wistful farewell I have said to any unfinished beverage.

On a side note, my comrade-in-arms, the faithful Pat Seow, had an iced coffee at RM20. She didn't complain, but she definitely was not as euphoric as I was. Oh, TWG! You had me at hello!

Pavilions Lounge
Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur
Jalan Sultan Ismail 
Kuala Lumpur 50250
Tel: +603 2717 9900

No comments:

Post a Comment