Friday, February 24, 2012

Laffy Taffy

Anyone remember the ads in Archie comics from the Eighties, before the Digests came out? Sea monkeys, x-ray specs, Pokey and Gumby? And of course, Laffy Taffy!

Throughout the years I have managed to try, buy and eat most of the things I saw advertised in those American comics. The sea monkeys were a washout (forgive me if I truly did kill innocent lives by flushing a quart of water down the toilet), the x-ray specs a myth debunked even without need to purchase, and Humdingers eaten at the first chance I got.
Once is enough!

However, I only ate Laffy Taffy for the first time a few months ago. Christmas is getting to be the time when there are a lot of one-time imports of candy brands usually not available in Malaysia. Erin's Nana bought this box of Laffy Taffy as part of the little gifts on her Christmas tree.

I have to say it was pretty anti climactic for me, the first taste of Laffy Taffy (named so because there is a joke on the wrapper of each piece of candy). For one, the composition of the candy is not suited to Malaysian weather, so it was sticky right out of the wrapper. Secondly, the pieces were too big to eat confortably and I really dislike biting into candy. Thirdly, although I count watermelon among my top favourite fake fruit flavours (cherry is tops!), I think I prefer the cheaper option of Sugus, if I ever suddenly hanker for chewy candy.

Still, I guess it's good to lay to rest finally the wondering of what these pop culture food items are!

No comments:

Post a Comment