Friday, February 24, 2012

KGNS' New Indian Foodstall

They didn't say goodbye! I was away from KGNS for a while, and when I returned there were new food display cases at the site of the Indian food caterer, no sign of my friendly server Ratna, and a new roti canai man! The last was was a good thing, as the previous caterer had had great difficulty in looking for a new roti maker when their old one had to return to Sri Lanka, and were then forced to pre-make rotis and send them to the club in warmers. Bluch!

I finally tried the new caterers this week, and I am glad to say the food is good. Their roti canai maker may not be as friendly as the old guy, but maybe in time he will learn my orders by heart. Meanwhile, we tested his wares with a paper thosai, plain roti and chappati.
Cone of delight: the paper thosai.
The paper thosai (RM1.50) could have been more crisp, but the flavour was good - it was both sour and nutty enough, and went really well with the fish curry, which was also very, very good. Again, there was the right blend of spices, the perfect balance of heat and sourness which makes one's mouth water and the appetite unfold like a hungry anemone.

Currying favour with ease.
The roti canai (RM1.20) was decent, though a bit ill-shaped. It tasted fine though, but could have been a bit more crisp. The same went with the roti telur (RM2), and I would have liked more onion as well as a few thinly sliced green chillies for bite.
Rather pale, but passable roti telur.

RM2 is a bit pricey for chappati, but this was good stuff.

The RM2 chappati was good - gut stickingly thick, very nice textured and with a clean, fresh flavour from the atta flour used. The big let down was the potato which accompanied it. The dish was seeped in ginger and parsley to such a degree that I could not choke down a bite of it. It sat completely untouched, and I probably will stick to dhall the next time I have chappati.

No comments:

Post a Comment