Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Calbee Potato Snack (Here's The Stick)

Getting reacquainted with an old brand.
The brand Calbee has always been associated with prawn crackers, as far as I am concerned. Anyone remember the TV advertisement featuring dancing, singing prawns in the Eighties? "Taste it, fresh! Like it, crispy! Fresh and crispy Calbee. Calbee! Prawn crackers!"

I thought that was a brand that had seen its end, but Erin's Aunt Monica gave Erin this hard box of Calbee potato snacks, showing me that some brands do live a mighty long time.

This snack is not a potato chip or crisp variant. It features sticks of potato, supposedly baked, as an alternative to fried crisps. Erin found it a little hard, and I did too, but I appreciated the natural flavour of the potato, and how the richness of the tuber comes through in the baking process. Granted, of course, there is a host of flavour enhancers in this snack, but who am I, a child brought up with daily munchies, to pass judgement?

No comments:

Post a Comment