Monday, February 27, 2012

Dunkin, Suckin' Donuts

I'm just too sentimental for my own weight when it comes to food. Time and time have I proclaimed that Dunkin Donuts has had its heyday. Yet, I still cave and purchase them.
I tell you, it's the pink that draws me!
Today I was motivated a little by guilt that Kit was saddled with Erin while I went out for lunch and then an interview. Sweet stuff, as we all know, is a way to wheedle good will.

I just wish I was less expansive with my wheedling. Not only for the bottom line, but also on the off chance that the sweet selections were just not all that great. My RM12.70 box of six donuts fell squarely in this category.

Pretty is all that they have going for them!
I am not remembering wrong. Dunkin used to make great donuts, as they claim on their box. Why, as a young teen, I remember feeling so brave, leading my school mates on an excursion to Bukit Bintang, by cab no less, to the one and only Dunkin Donuts store then. We bought boxes, thanks to my generous allowance, and we gorged on them. And that was when their Munchkins (donut hole minis) were still true parts of the donut range, as opposed to fancy dressed boring old yeast donuts.

Today, I feel as if Dunkin has hit rock bottom in taste and texture. Part of my six were erstwhile, flag bearing flavours. But they tasted nothing like they used to. The strawberry frosted used to be a plain yeast donut with amazingly rice, yummy strawberry frosting. Today, the donut dough is stawberry flavoured and coloured, and with very cheap, synthetic flavour as well. It was down right bilious, like one of those cheap biscuits you'd find being hocked in primary schools.

Saving grace in a Sweetheart?
One of their new donuts was this Sweetheart. It's a yeast donut filled with raspberry jam, topped with vanilla frosting and multicoloured hearts. Of course I bought it for a three-and-a-half year old! Of course it was the one she picked out from the box! Thankfully it passed Erin's taste test, but the amount of jam in it was alarming. It also looked a bit macabre spread all over her face!

The smiling faced one had lemon frosting and a lemon custard interior which was passingly good. However the Oreo crusted one was only worth the crumbled cookie topping, to say nothing of the terrible let down of the one cake donut I bought - this again an icon from the Nineties, the double chocolate. It lacked the richness of chocolate, and its topping was slick in looks and mouthfeel - a sure indication the chocolate was palm oil based.

Yet, the box has been consumed. Late night writing calls for late night sustenance, and good taste checks out after midnight.

Will a box of six grace my table again? I'd like to say never again, but my penchant for absolutes has been proven wrong too many times...

No comments:

Post a Comment