Wednesday, August 31, 2011

You Get What You Pay For


I’m always on the lookout for Me-Too products. In Marketing jargon, a Me-Too product is one which cashes in on similarities to an existing, popular product. Many times, in the food business, especially, Me-Toos can be quite a bit cheaper and pretty acceptable in taste – such as a local brand of peanut butter and jelly which is completely comparable to Goober Grape.

In the recent past I have tried some pretty good locally manufactured biscuits and snacks. So I was hopeful when I picked up this packet of vanilla wafer fingers. With a colour scheme very near to the Loacker brand of wafers, I was hopeful I would get the same taste with a much smaller price tag. Unfortunately though, this was not one of those good Me-Toos. 

While the wafer shell was decent enough, the vanilla cream was pretty bad. A solid, oily cake of pseudo cream coated the mouth like Enron oil on a duck’s feathers. The vanilla flavour was passable, but getting past the coated up gunk was not pleasurable. Even at RM1.99, this is not something I will be buying again.

No comments:

Post a Comment