Friday, August 12, 2011

Wing Wang Wong


Wong Kok used to be such fun for me. I guess it was because there seemed to be so much to choose from. And if there is one thing people who are close to me know about me, it’s my love for variety. Vin and Jessie, Kit and I used to spend quite a few afternoons at Wong Kok in SS2, Petaling Jaya, quaffing down drinks ranging from the traditional (almond milk, ‘sock’ tea) to the ghastly coloured iced confections served with all manner of fruit cordials and whatnot. 

So I blame it on nostalgia that I chose to dine at Wong Kok when at Sunway Giza. And again, I got carried away. Ordering on a growly, prowly stomach never helps anything. And so I ended up with a lot of food; some of which were shoo-ins for the kind of stuff American high school cafeteria jokes are made of. 


The hungries always make fried food appealing and I actually ordered wedges. I justified it by saying I wanted to try the wasabi mayonnaise. Cringe. Still, they were good. Industrial but good. The wasabi mayo? Completely copy-able. 
The other foods were completely industrial as well. Like these meatballs. Not an ounce of real meat in them anywhere. Completely spongy, covered with this faux cheese; this is the kind of food Jamie Oliver rails at.  
The baked bread casserole was another. As Kit puts it, 'you eat it and it has the same deliciousness of something from a Unilever stock packet.' True, they try to liven it up with some herbs and more sponge-passing-off-as-meat sausages, but it gets icky very fast, and when it gets cold, it really becomes the kind of food that sticks to your insides.

The only thing that really felt as if it were really cooked and not assembled was the Seafood Noodle. I loved the pretty little nest it comes in and this ball form helps the noodles stay crisp. The gravy tastes as if there really is some true chicken stock in it, and the seafood was fresh and tasty, with good bite.  Score one, at least!




The drinks remain their same old funky selves, with large glasses in all shapes and heights. I liked the different jellies and pudding in the Gentleman. It's like drinking a dessert! The passionfruit was alright, but it was massively sweet, which made me think there was more than just fruit in that drink. 

On the whole I don't think I'll be hankering for Wong Kok anytime soon. It's a place for youngsters and young palates. I'm looking for soul food now, not so-so food.

No comments:

Post a Comment