Thursday, August 25, 2011

Yee Mess


Everyday Chinese food is forgiving, I’ll give you that. Take the humble yee mee for example. These egg noodles are more instant than instant noodles because they are actually ready to eat out of the pack. The round nests have been pre-fried, and also pre-seasoned so they are a lot more tasty than spaghetti (also less healthy, but let’s not go there). 

Yee mee is usually sold in plastic bags of five, with a price tag of about RM3 to RM4.50, making them price comparable to even Maggi noodles which to most is the pinnacle of instant noodles.
Yee mee is possibly the most versatile of all local noodles, seeing they’re cooked and seasoned. I’ve had beautifully braised seafood yee mee costing RM50 a plate, and I have also enjoyed simple, steaming claypot varieties at RM4.50. 
The taste of home-made laziness.

Today, my yee mee was pushed into service and forced into partnership with my quasi-minestrone pork soup. I just felt the need for carb and didn’t want to be messing about with pasta so late in the day. So I dunked in a round of yee mee. The result was pretty good. A bit odd to have the flavours of rosemary and oregano alongside kai lan and the crunchy noodles, but they stood up admirably. It wasn’t a pretty sight, but I’ve told you before that I can’t present for nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment