Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Better Class Of Pizza


In a clear example of getting what you pay for, I have found the brand of frozen pizzas which are as near to hand –tossed freshness as can be. I began eating this brand in my 20s, when my dad found it in a more up market supermarket. Over the years I have tried other local and imported frozen pizzas, but none come as close. 

Perhaps it is the fact that I prefer thin crust pizzas to the hand-tossed variety or even the regular deep dish or pan type. Maybe it is because I think chicken loaf and pineapple masquerading as Hawaiian is awful. Whatever it is, Dr Oetker is my kind of pizza. 

I like that it comes in classic, real Italian variants, such as the four cheese and mushrooms. My favourite of all is, however, the spinach variant. It feels like a good tradeoff between convenience and slow food, since there is really some vegetable on it. 

Since Dr Oetker is one of the more expensive pizza brands in the frozen food section, I stock up when there is an offer. This last spinach pizza came from a batch purchased at Giant where there was a BOFO (Buy One Free One) offer. 

I hoard them in my freezer till bad days drive me to heat up the Rubine and treat myself to a good pizza. And boy, was this good! 

It was so good, I actually went on to buy spinach and cook it for a home-made spinach pizza – part of a batch of six we made for friends this week. Of the variants (wasabi mayo with shrimp, herbed tomato with salami, barbecue sauce with salami and onions, garlic butter and cheese), the spinach one came up tops, which made me one happy puppy since my efforts at washing sand and grit, and plucking the leaves from the stems went down so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment