Monday, October 10, 2011

Fish & Fate


As Harlen Coben says, “Man plans. God laughs.” I was promised that my good friend Jade would return to KL from Melaka prior to her departure for Beijing. I had bought and squirreled away three wonderful fillets of fresh Norwegian salmon and I brought them out for dinner with Jade. Unfortunately, she had to stay in Melaka due to a family emergency, and I was left with three defrosted fillets which simply could not be re-frozen. It was an anguished Karen who told Kit to do whatever he wanted with them since each hour would render them less fresh. 
Start with great produce and only salt and pepper is really needed to make the salmon sing.

As luck would have it, Kit came out with an amazing spread. It was a beautiful sight, and it lifted my heart slightly, but it was way too much for two, and I truly did not feel I was doing the meal justice because there was no special guest to share it with. Then I decided, screw it, what is done is done and it’s better I eat the darned things with a happy heart than grouse over the fact that special cuts of a rather expensive fish was being served for a meal with just Kit and I. 
Basil-infused spaghetti with roasted red pepper.


Kit made a basil infused spaghetti to complement the salmon which he seasoned with salt and pepper and grilled on our grill pan. There was also buttery mash made from two malingering potatoes, topped with Kit’s very own, amazing concoction of tomato, onion, plum and garlic coulis, grounded by a scoop of stir-fried herbed cabbage. 
What the teachers at Hilltop had for lunch today.

I saved a portion for Erin’s Hilltop House teachers and I got quite a lift when they gasped at the prettily presented plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment