Monday, November 22, 2010

The triumph of Oliver Lopez!


Oliver Lopez and his moment of triumph. The best I could do with such horrible lighting!
The highlight of last night’s Hospitality Asia Platinum Awards, for me, was Oliver Lopez’s win as Executive Chef of the Year. I am passionate about Malaysian chefs. I believe that Malaysians can excel in the culinary field. I KNOW they have the talent. They already begin on such superior footing ingredients-wise, because where else in the world can a chef find so many weird and wonderful raw stuff to experiment with? Plus, there is our magnificent hodge-podge of cooking cultures, and the enviable ability of most Malaysians to try anything once.

I am going to break with tradition and talk about Oliver as Oliver, and not refer him to his last name as is my usual unimpeachable journalistic standard.

This is because he is, with Chef Chew, one of the chefs I love most. Oliver rates right up there with Anton Mosimann and my sweet, sweet Christian Moine. He and I met on the job. I teased him out of his usual detached way of dealing with situations he is not comfortable with (meeting strange media was one of them), and he began to warm up to me after seeing me many times in Resorts World Genting where he is Executive Chef at Maxims Genting Hotel. He is also a G8 chef – one of the eight culinary decision makers who steer the food quality and presentations in this world-class resort.

He used to spend all his time in the kitchens of The Olive, Genting’s fine dining Continental restaurant. It is only recently that he has acquiesced to his more managerial portfolio, but he will always be a chef at heart.

I featured Oliver in The Taste Of Honest Food, and it’s fitting I reproduce his profile and one of his most famed recipes here in tribute of his triumph.

Oliver, I’m so proud of you! As a hospitality editor, I rejoice at a Malaysian Executive Chef winning over his European counterparts. As his friend, I think this award only scrapes the tip of the iceberg that is Oliver Lopez – loving father, a fair manager, and a man with so much heart he could remember how a certain foodie loved his crusty loaves and arranged to send fresh-baked ones up to her room in the resort on one trip.


Oliver Lopez
G8 Chef and Executive Chef
Maxims Genting Hotel

“Procure the freshest ingredients and you’re already half way to a great dish.”

Melaka-born Oliver Lopez had plotted his career path, and being a talented football player, the food industry was never on the cards. This was until he was denied a place in the state football squad. At crossroads in his life, he answered a recruitment ad by Genting, was called for an interview and began his new life as a kitchen helper in 1983 at the age of 26. He attributes his rise to Executive Chef and a member of the elite G8 culinary squad of Genting to diligence and an ever growing love affair with food preparation. 

“This interest I have for food is a burning one. It is something I will have with me until I die. Cooking for me is not a hobby, as one would take up and later discard, say, photography. Cooking for me is life. Though I did not have a chance to truly choose a career, it would seem that the career chose me. If you ask me now if I would have done anything differently, or changed my life path, I will tell you no and mean it. This talent I’ve developed is one which will ensure I and my family will never go hungry or jobless. Worse come to the worst, I can always open a stall somewhere and earn an honest living.”

Lopez is far from a worst case scenario, having been instrumental in the raising of the profile of Olive, the fine dining Continental cuisine restaurant in Maxims Genting Hotel. Citing its increased standing in the opinion of gourmets both local and international, Lopez believes that Olive has allowed Malaysians a peek into the life of a true food aficionado. Having hosted the most number of Michelin starred chefs ever in the history of Malaysian F&B history; Olive is now what Lopez deems the ‘pinnacle of fine dining.’ 


Roasted Chilean Sea Bass
Ingredients
150 g      Chilean sea bass              
2 pcs      Asparagus                          
3 g          Alfalfa sprouts                  

Method
1. Soak fish in the marinade for three minutes and bake in the oven at 200F for 10minutes.
2. Sautee the mushrooms, asparagus and heat up the ponzu sauce.
3. Set on plate and assemble as per illustration.    


Marinade for sea bass
Mix together the following:
1/8 pc    Lemon wedge                  
2 g          Ginger juice                       
2 g          Spring onion                      
5 g          Shells slice                          
5 ml        Kikkoman sauce                              
5 ml        White wine                        

Ponzu Sauce                     
Mix together the following and boil:
6 g          Bonito flakes                     
200 ml   Water                                  
5 g          Lemon juice                      
10 ml     Kikkoman                           
30 g        Sugar                                    
100 ml   Mirin                                     -

Sautéed Mushroom
2 g          Morels, dried                    
2 g          Chanterelle mushroom
2 g          Ceps mushroom                              
10 ml     Olive oil                                               
10 g        Button mushroom                         
2 g          Minced garlic                    
1 g          Salt                                      
½ g         Pepper, white                  
5 g          Shitake mushroom              
20 g        Tomato concasse               
1/8         Lemon wedge                     
Method:
1.       Sautéed all ingredients.
2.       Add salt, pepper and lemon juice.
3.       Set aside.

No comments:

Post a Comment