Thursday, November 4, 2010

The big chill


I like soft serve ice cream, but I like the idea of frozen yogurt and its supposedly less calories, even more. After the less than stellar introduction (and farewell) to ChicKing, I passed a kiosk (I use the word loosely) offering fro-yo. I can’t resist trying new things; more so if the food has cool names. So, lured by Royal Red Velvet, I decided to try out Tutti Frutti at Tropicana City Mall.

It’s a self service kiosk, which has six soft serve dispensers with the different flavours on tap. Containers are placed beside the machines, with a sign advertising 0.53 sen/10 grams. There is also a condiment/topping bar with assorted colorful candies, gummy bears, sprinkles, fruit (both fresh and canned) and cereal. The idea is that clients draw the amount and flavour(s) of yogurt they desire, top it and then weigh in for the price.

I’m warning you, it can be quite a hefty price tag per serving, because 10 grams is nothing on a scale. I was not watching my wallet, so I went for a trio of Death By Chocolate, Tutti Frutti and Red Velvet. I think toppings detract from the main attraction, so I gave them a miss as I usually do.

One spoonful and I was in love. Taste-wise, it was a perfect blend of sweet and tart, or tangy and rich. The flavours all balanced and the texture of the yogurt was immensely enjoyable, being firm but not icy; fluffy but not runny. The Red Velvet was Tutti Frutti’s take on red velvet cake which Elvis loved to indulge in. I think The King would have liked the Tutti Frutti version and it may have saved him a few kilos if he’d eaten more yogurt and less cake.

The chocolate one had substance and a velvety mouth feel which was very satisfying, while the fruit blend of the Tutti Frutti was everything a good sherbet-sorbet marrying would be. While Kit and I enjoyed our RM15 trio of flavours, we watched the corporate video presentation and learnt that Tutti Frutti is an American franchise. I’m quite sure the video was re-jigged a little for the Malaysian market, because some of the grammar was atrocious.
Tutti Frutti USA has some amazing flavours, but we are relegated to six at the present moment. Cookies and Cream was not in the Malaysian lineup, but there were three other flavours, and so, in the interest of penetrating journalism, I decided to try the other three flavours.
Kit photo-ing the fro-yo.

The Tutti Frutti Original is really good. It pushes home the fact that every product needs a good base in order to build on. The Orange Delight was zesty and palate cleansing, yet creamy and lingering. Their stumble block is the yam flavour. Marketed as Tarobly Delicious (I love the pun), it is reminiscent of grape soda. It has a fizzy aftertaste, which sits horribly with the characteristic tackiness of texture of yam. I cannot see any need, after trying such great flavours, for Tutti Frutti to want to Asianize its product line. I put it at the bottom of my cup, so it did not taint the other flavours, but because it was at the bottom, it was the last thing I had on my palate. Yuck!

I’m definitely going to go back to Tutti Frutti, despite it being as expensive as a premium brand ice cream. However, anything remotely Asian is to be viewed suspiciously as far as frozen yogurt is concerned!
Love at first lick - the first trio of Tutti Frutti, Death By Chocolate and Red Velvet.

Tutti Frutti offers a choice of tables or bar counter seats. Their long counters have power points where one can plug in a laptop while enjoying some fro-yo. The outlet also offers 20 percent off on Mondays and Fridays – something I must remember!

1 comment:

  1. Monday and Fridays are discount days huh? Well it's Monday today and it doesn't feel like theres a discount.

    ReplyDelete