Sunday, November 7, 2010

Blessed are the meek


After my little jibe at the service at Sushi King, I had to go to a place where everybody knows my name. Usually, when that happens, it is to one of the more pricey establishments in the city, or to my good friend Chef Chew at Armada Hotel, or my friends at Betty’s Midwestern Kitchen in Aman Suria.

However, it being a Sunday, I decided to cruise closer to home and as such, went to place which offers the cheapest and best roti canai in town – Kit’s country club, Kelab Golf Negara Subang.


I tell everyone who gwaps at the fact we are members of this quite exclusive club that my membership in this club was the only dowry I got as I entered into marriage with Kit. The truth is, Kit’s dad had purchased a whole slew of club memberships when he was well and still an able bodied general practitioner. When he was felled by the stroke that has left him paralysed from the neck down for these 15 years, most of the club memberships were sold or given up.

Except this one. Kit insisted it was retained and when we married, he registered me as his spouse and I now have signing privileges. I have come to like this place, with its beautiful grounds and its sprawl of buildings, and the gym where I try to work out thrice a week and the pool which served me so well when I was pregnant with Erin.

I have also come to be very fond of the servers at the Golfers’ Terrace, which is the club’s all-day dining restaurant. Mostly Indonesian, there are also a few Bangladeshi and Indian nationals. All of them are sweet and efficient. They get paid less than a Sushi King staff, but they do such great work.
 
The best roti planta in Selangor. Too bad you need to be a member to eat!
Kit’s favourite food at KGNS is the Indian stall which is helmed by a lovely lady named Ratna, and her co-worker from India. Both of them know our food preferences now. Ratna knows I will always have roti telur chili bawang (Malaysian savoury pancake with egg, onion and sliced green chillies), while Kit must have extra curry with his sugarless roti planta.
Roti bom is another of the Indian stall's star offerings.

Ratna and her crew make the best roti in our vicinity, I dare say. The breads always come thin, crisp and fluffy and golden brown. Ratna always has a smile and a recommendation for us, and sometimes a trial taste of a new dish.

She brightens up my day no end. She is on her feet from 7am until the evening, and yet she is unfailingly cheerful and upbeat. A salaried worker, she probably earns half of what I do on a bad month, and yet she has this wonderful demeanor which deserves all kinds of blessings.

So tonight, before I hit the sack, I want to record a big thank you to the staff at KGNS. From Ratna of the Indian stall, to waiters Awal, Ibrahim, Shahadat and waitresses Lisna, Suria, Dewi, Yeni, Mai and the others whose names I don’t know, thanks for all the effort you put into your jobs. We truly do appreciate you and I hope you enjoyed my birthday cake yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment