Sunday, January 2, 2011

Wendy’s memories


Kit enjoying a 1/2 Pounder.
I have fond remembrances of most fast food outlets. I recall my dad collecting all of the Happy Meal toys at McDonalds for me, with the most memorable being the plastic ships and steamers. I recall the now-dead-in-Malaysia Popeye’s chicken (not the Louisianan incarnation), but the real Popeye the Sailor chain, which gave out collectible figurines of Popeye and Olive Oyl and the cast of characters in the cartoon. I remember with real nostalgia the burgers at Arby’s, but I guess I remember Wendy’s best because there was an outlet in Damansara Heights (the row where Hock Lee’s mini market is situated) where the family ate quite often.
Squares rule at Wendy's!

I was so pleased when the chain made a comeback in Malaysia, but I have not been overly pleased with its overall quality. I have had, in a space of two visits, the most awful chili and the best chili, not to mention variations from icy to sludgey Frosties.

Chunky fries soak up less oil.
Yet, I think Wendy’s makes great burgers. I like the neat squareness of the patties, and I especially like the fact that they are the only fast food outlet which offers shrimp burgers on a regular basis.
Chili - Wendy's best meal.

I also like their fries which are thicker than the Golden Arches’ and so soak up less oil than their skinny counterparts. The chili is, of course, the best component of a Wendy’s meal. I truly love the combination of hearty beef and beans with tomatoes and paprika. It’s the ultimate health meal and great for appearing inconspicuous when you’re watching your health and weight but not wanting anyone to know.
Stick with the classics at Wendy's - vanilla Frosty.

Mulberry shake - pretty but putrid.
That is, if you don’t succumb to the pretty promotional pictures of their new shakes, like I did with their horribly synthetic flavoured mulberry shake. I choked down about half then reasoned I could well do without the calories. Eating something because you like it is a passable excuse, but forcing oneself to finish something because you paid for it is pretty bad. I’m learning the hard way, but I’m learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment