Saturday, March 22, 2014

Good N Plenty

There isn't much choice when you have to eat at the immigration complex at Plaza Glomac. I walked into one cafe offering fish and chips and chicken Maryland because I knew I would come out reeking of oil as the staff were frying things in the ill-ventilated kitchen.

The bars were still closed at noon, and I was not up for a RM38 fish head set lunch for two, so it was a good thing there was a nasi campur place to fall back on.

Simple and satisfying food.
Halim is not posh, nor do they offer a staggering range of food items, but their nasi campur (Malay mixed rice) is commendable in taste and flavour. That is possibly one of the benefits of only offering a maximum of ten food items.
It's dim, but the food is good.

Patrons take their own rice from warming tubs, and select the dishes they want. I like this, as I prefer to be in control of exactly how much rice I want. My simple selection consisted of fried kangkung in belacan (the only vegetable available, truth be told), a slice of skate in tamarind and chili gravy (pari masak assam), a wedge of egg omelet, and bamboo slices with tripe in turmeric gravy. With two glasses of iced water, the meal came up to RM8.10. But I for the 10 sen off.

RM8 fed two.
The omelet was fluffy and thankfully not oozing oil. I liked the sliced chilies in it, but thought the addition of birds eye chili (chili padi) was a bit much. The skate was flavourful, with a fresh smell (no ammonia reek), and a very solid gravy base of chili and tamarind paste. It was spicy, but not overpoweringly so. The fish was also tender, and not overcooked.

Traditional dishes done right.
Many people cannot stand the sour smell of the sliced bamboo shoot and tripe. It's the nature of fresh bamboo shoots, as well as the addition of fermented durian paste (tempoyak) that some cooks put in the turmeric gravy. I, however, with my penchant for all things noisome, enjoy the crunch of the bamboo and the spongey, chewiness of cow stomach. This gravy too had good balance, with enough creamy turmeric and just hints of heat from cili padi.

While I won't head to Halim just for a meal, I do consider this good cooking with very precise flavourings. The chillies in the kangkong belacan were way too coarsely chopped to pass muster, but that did not affect the flavour of the offering. And face it, for RM8, this is possibly the cheapest meal you can get while you wait for your passport to be done.

Restoran Halim
Plaza Glomac
Jalan SS7/19
Kelana Jaya 47301 Petaling Jaya

No comments:

Post a Comment