Friday, September 2, 2011

Cheese Wiz


I have a kid but I don’t particularly like kids. I’m not one of those naturally mothering mothers; that band of women who swoop to kiss and cuddle any unsuspecting tot. So I surprised myself when I found myself inviting the two nieces of the family next door to come for a tea party with Erin. 

Like Kit said, “I don’t know what kids eat! What do I know what to make?”  Taking into account the fact kids eat less (and sometimes nothing, if the food is not something they like) and that they are not gourmets, I whipped up a batch of supposedly deliciously moist chocolate brownies early in the morning. While baking it looked promising. It felt good too. When the skewer went in they felt moist and fudgy. 

However, when cooled, the final product was hard and biscuit-like – if you can imagine a whole tray of square biscuit. A blooming waste of some really good chocolate it was! And no way I was going to serve that, knowing my fragile ego and the harsh, honest opinion of kids! 

I decided that the sweet part of the meal would just have to depend on prepackaged stuff – chocolate teddy bear marshmallows and gingerbread thin alphabets. I was not too keen on frying corn fritters (I’m nursing a burn on my thumb already), so I played about with the recipe for fried corn fritters and christened the little muffin pans my mother in law gave me so long ago. 

My knocked-together formula of a cup of self raising flour, cooking margarine, four eggs, a can of sweet corn kernels and a mix of mozzarella and cheddar, grated, turned out pretty darn fine.

As implausible as me having a kid, is my spooning little bits of mix into teeny muffin pans, but that is what I did, and I have to say I am pretty pleased with the little raised bun-like thingies. Even though the younger of the girls spat out her bite in horror because it had “CORN! I hate corn!) in it. 

Can’t win ‘em all.

No comments:

Post a Comment