Friday, October 15, 2010

Peas is the word


I’ve never been much of a nut-eater. I’ve never seen the need to scramble for the last salt roasted macadamia; would not opt for butter pecan ice cream if there was chocolate chip cookie dough or Cherry Garcia (oh thank you Ben & Jerry’s), and certainly will pass on peanut butter on toast. Even with Goober Grape. 

Lately though, perhaps a little influenced by a sudden urge of Kit’s one night to have salty peanuts, I have been checking out the selection at our SS4 night market. I’ve become firm friends with the couple who run the snacks-by-weight stall. They love Erin and the old gentleman always has a wafer roll for my tot when she comes by their stall on Wednesday evenings. 

Mr & Mrs Biscuit have some of the freshest snacks. Their biscuits are always crisp and whole. I once bought a bag of animal crackers and none of them were broken. They also sell an assortment of nuts and legumes. They have salted peanuts, fried groundnuts, batter coated peanuts and my favourite, coated green peas.  

These aren’t the wasabi-coated kind. One can have too many of those in a very short time. Mr & Mrs Biscuit’s peas are light, airy and crunchy and so very easy to eat too many of. They’re fried, but I live in denial that the process did not detract the least from its nutritional value. After all, peas are supposed to be bursting with nutrients. They provide good to very good amounts of a bunch of vitamins (A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C, D and K), several minerals, dietary fibre and protein. 

Can all that really be lost by the addition of some crispy coating and an oil bath? In my food-is-always-good-more-food-is-better world, I want to believe it makes it even better. But just because I am deluded, it does not mean you need to be. So make sure you enjoy your peas fresh, as nature intended.

When you tire of them, I’ll share my fried, coated yummies with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment