Saturday, October 23, 2010

Milk it for all it’s worth


I didn’t drink Milo growing up. We had Ovaltine and Horlicks and a great decaffeinated coffee drink called Postum (which always reminded me of the scene in Bambi where a family of possums hang upside down by their tails and greet Bambi with, “Good morning young prince!”).

I’ve never been into any drink other than water. Even as kid, when it was almost expected for a kid to guzzle soda and pop, I never developed a taste for the stuff. Until today, water is my beverage of choice. I used to drink any kind of water, but having had water from Amway’s e-Spring filter in the time I married and move into Kit’s parents’ house, I just had to have one in my own home.

I digress, however. (That was not a plug for Amway, by the way).

Just recently I have developed a taste for chocolate cereal. It began when my dear friend Ying May was away in Singapore. This gal loves Koko Krunch. She could it eat from breakfast, lunch and dinner. When I missed her too much, I bought a box of Koko Krunch, to show solidarity.

The surprising thing was that I liked it! And so, I progressed to the Milo cereal. I bought the jumbo pack as it was for sale. The first time I had it with my usual low fat milk, I thought it was so-so. Today, because I was out of low-fat, I had it with full cream milk. And wow! Whoever would have thought it would make such a difference?

I could not believe it was the same cereal. It took on this deep, velvety texture, with a rich aftertaste which stunned me. What a heavenly match! And what a dastardly discovery.
I’ve tried to delude myself that there was absolutely no difference between the taste of full cream and low fat milk. To further subjugate myself to this fantasy, I drank only low fat. Even dunked my Oreos in them.

Will today be a turning point in my milk purchasing decision making? Only time and Nestle will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment