Sunday, October 17, 2010

Aww nuts!

I like ice cream. Most of the time I can live without a tub of ice cream in the fridge, but these Indian summer days are as good an excuse as any to stock up. So why is it that Kit and I ran out for ice cream in a tropical rainstorm?

I was not unopposed to other brands, but a price comparison told me that a 1.66 litre tub at RM24.90 was the most prudent option between a 1.5 tub for RM22.90 and another 1.66 litre tub for RM26.99. So I ended up with Sunnyside Farms’ Peanut Buttercup ice cream. I’ve had another flavour of theirs, Death By Chocolate or Chocolate Overload or something like that and loved it. Though I’ve professed not to be a peanut fan, I thought if this brand could do for peanut butter what it did for chocolate, I’d be a convert. 

Plus, I love the brand name. Sunnyside Farms brings to mind emerald fields and happy, contented, slightly dopey smiling, black and white cows grazing in said emerald pastures under a benevolent sun. Happy cows give more milk. It’s an agricultural fact. 

I let the tub of ice cream chill out in my freezer and after putting Erin to bed, and setting the house to rights, I treated myself to a dish of Peanut Buttercup. Sad to say I was not as lucky as the first time round. 

While it did not suck, it did not stand out. The chocolate pieces were rich and milky, but there weren’t enough peanut butter cups in the mix. The peanut butter ice cream was also a lot less rich than I thought it could have been. I have to say that in flavour, a King’s ice confectionary of the same flavour would taste similar. At a fraction of the price. 

Perhaps I should have opted for the Rocky Road. Or perhaps the Thrifty brand. Though how it can be called that and still priced a little below RM30 is a bit puzzling. 

I take comfort in the fact that the peanut buttercup will not go to waste. With Kit in residence, ice cream rarely has time to develop a mantle of ice crystals over the surface. Which is a good thing, because until we finish this one, there’s no room for another tub.

No comments:

Post a Comment