Friday, February 28, 2014

The Eating Of The Green

Finally managed to get a space at Penang Road Famous Teochew Chendul at Paradigm Mall! Ever since it took over the ill-fated cookie and muffin store, the outlet has been packed. We've walked by at different times of the day, and it's been close to six months, and there is always still a crowd.
There have been times when they've been sold out at 3pm!

Although I wrote about cendol for hungrygowhere http://www.hungrygowhere.my/food-guide/features/cendol-desserts/, I did not get the opportunity to include this place in my article. For one, I don't believe in joining the crowds; for another, can good food really be found in malls?

Having managed to try the offerings here, I have to say that good food might actually be available in malls. This Malaysian success story (kudos to the branding team behind the 'corporate' video), continues to be successful out of its street food norms and locale.
The original Teochew chendol.

We tried the original Teochew chendol (RM4.90) which I found pleasant enough, but nothing to warrant waiting in line for. The helping is generous enough, for the price tag and the venue, and the elements work well together and are strong enough individually, but there was nothing to really rave about, except the fact we actually managed to find seats.
Durian chendol.

The durian chendol was much better, as far as I was concerned. The durian wasn't presented whole, nor did we get bits of durian in the soup. This variant is served with a durian puree which is dolloped on to the shaved ice. I was expecting inferior durian, or even a slightly synthetic tasting topping, but it was actually quite good. It was rich, creamy and fragrant. The durian and coconut milk made a pleasant combination; while the smooth chendol itself lent bite to the combination. A bit pricey for RM7.90, but definitely not  wasted.
Original Penang ice kacang.

I wasn't, however, at all impressed with the ice kacang. Apparently, real Penang ice kacang is characterized by the use of a Sarsi-flavoured syrup alongside the red sugar syrup. Gula melaka is not used in this variant of ice kacang, I was told. Well, despite liking the attap seeds and sago balls, and tolerating the creamed corn and cincau, I could not get round the Sarsi syrup. I really disliked it. It felt out of place - an usurper that kicked out the rich, traditional flavours of gula melaka. Thankfully it was only RM4.90. It's not something I would order again!

Verdict, then? I'd say this place was okay to bring tourist pals, or friends who you're not comfortable sitting at roadside stalls with, but it does not rate exceedingly high on my list of good cendols.I'm just glad I never stood in line for it!

Penang Road Famous Teochew Chendul
LG 08 Paradigm Mall
1 Jalan SS7/26A Kelana Jaya
Petaling Jaya, Selangor.


No comments:

Post a Comment